The Generator

Santa Ana High School Student Publication

The Generator

The Generator

Girls volleyball season underway, league opener set for today

The Saints will have an early season test when they host Saddleback in Orange Coast League premier
Santa+Ana+High+girls+volleyball+team+as+it+prepares+for+the+news+season+at+2023+media+day.+
Photo by Allyson Quiroz
Santa Ana High girls volleyball team as it prepares for the news season at 2023 media day.

The Lady Saints have opened the 2023 season, kicking off with a nonleague home contest against Santiago. 

Santa Ana (1-4) dropped the opener to the Cavaliers (3-2) in five sets. The team has since dropped contests against Godinez (2-2), Segerstrom (5-1) and Oxford Academy (4-3), while defeating Los Amigos (1-2) across the nonleague schedule.

Junior captain Rachel Aldaco was optimistic about the season after being satisfied with how the team performed throughout most of the opener. “A highlight from the game would be during one of the sets when our middle blocker Miranda (Lemus, senior) slammed the ball onto the other side after the opposing team gave an overpass, leaving them in shock,” she said. “There was definitely a vibrant connection in the stands,” she continued, “allowing us to feel more connected as a team.”  

The team features five returning athletes and eight new players, led by head coach Fernie Ceja.  

“For our first game I’m honestly proud of the way we played because not only did we fight our way back in the second set but we also continued working as a team despite being down in some of the other sets,” Lemus said. “We definitely learned from our mistakes and I’m excited to see how much we improve throughout the rest of the season.” 

The team feels close and prepared as it heads into the league schedule.

“I think the bond that we created with each other has made us a pretty strong team,” junior Melissa Aguilar said. “Usually what’s difficult about a team sport is getting along with everyone, but this year it feels as though everyone is very supportive of a healthy bond with each other where we can all laugh and have a really good time together no matter the situation.”  

Santa Ana returns to the court today at 5:15 when it hosts Saddleback (6-0) in the Orange Coast League opener.

Follow us on IG @sahsgenerator