Welcoming hands club doing great things at Santa Ana High school

Aidan Gertsen, contributor

Welcoming hands Club

The welcoming hands club was founded this year by senior soccer player Jada Perez. Jada Perez has been recognized by staff and faculty as an excellent student and upstanding representative of the way of the saints. The Welcoming hands club was started to fill the absence of the best buddies club, which folded under lack of leadership. The Welcoming hands club is dedicated to making everyone feel welcome at Santa Ana High school and bridging the gap between special needs students and the rest of the Santa Ana High school student body.

Jada Perez has already organized several events for both special needs students and the rest of the student body at Santa Ana High school. Including Marching with the saints where students who are a part of the special needs students at Santa Ana high school got the opportunity to march alongside the Santa Ana High school marching band from the campus of Santa Ana high school to the Santa Ana bowl for a Santa Ana Saints football game. The Welcoming hands club also gave special needs students to be on the field before a game this year and greet the members of Santa Ana’s football team. This included give high fives to the players as the team walked out onto the field just before kickoff.

The club has also organized many amazing lunchtime meet and greets between the special needs program and the fantastic programs at Santa Ana High school. The dance team performed for the special needs students personally and also danced with the students in the programs. The Soccer team lead by All American Diego Anaya also met with the special needs students at lunch earlier this year. The baseball team also took time out of their busy day to meet with the students.

Jada Perez can be seen around the campus of Santa Ana High school greeting students that are a part of the Special needs program before and after school. She asks them about their day, their classes and their social life. “Everybody is equally important and they deserve to feel that way” Jada once remarked.  “Everyone deserves to kindness”. 

No matter who you are, I think we all should aspire to be more like Jada Perez.