Rise of the Resistance Opens!

Isaac Bol, Writer, Photographer

This past weekend was the grand opening of Disneyland’s third Star Wars attractions, “Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.” Placed in their themed Star Wars land of Batuu, Galaxy’s Edge, guests are recruited by the Resistance to escape the planet in a transport ship due to First Order activity on the planet. However, not everything goes according to plan in every Star Wars Adventure because guests are then intercepted by a First Order Star Destroyer. Now guests, with the help of Resistance soldiers, must escape the Star Destroyer before being caught by Kylo Ren where they are forced to reveal the secret base of the Resistance.

This attraction is currently being hailed as the most immersive experience Disney has ever created in their theme parks and rightfully so.

Although it is considered a ride, it’s more of an experience where guests get to live out their very own Star Wars adventure. Due to it’s well designed pre-shows, attention to detail, and ride system that combines elements from other rides in the parks, this ride is truly breathtaking and what the imagineers at Disney have done is something that shouldn’t be ignored.

Before you start planning your trips to Disneyland to experience this new attraction, be aware of the virtual queue used for the ride. There is no need to wait hours before the park opens to get to ride because on the Disneyland app at 8 am, guests are allowed to get a boarding pass for the ride. However, they don’t last long. On Friday, opening day, it was said that they ran out of the main boarding passes 45 seconds after they were released. On Sunday, it was 3 minutes. Although you don’t have to wait in front of the park for hours due to this system, it is still a nerve racking experience trying to get a boarding pass for the ride. If you are planning to go soon with the intent of riding the ride, good luck, and may the force be with you.

“Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance” is a spectacular attraction that changes the way guests will view future rides at Disneyland. With this technological marvel finally here, let’s hope that in Disney’s California Adventure, their Marvel land, “Super Hero Campus,” has the same attention to detail in the land and rides as does Galaxy’s Edge in Disneyland.

Matt Stroshane, photographer
Guests race past massive AT-AT walkers aboard a First Order Star Destroyer as part of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, the groundbreaking new attraction opening Dec. 5, 2019, inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida and Jan. 17, 2020, at Disneyland Park in California. (Matt Stroshane, photographer)