Online School: Mental Health of Students

Emerald Psychiatry & TMS Center

Daniel Agama, Contributor

Degradation in the mental states of students. On March 13, 2020, students across the nation engaged in an online learning environment for what we thought would only be for a short period of time. As quarantine prolonged, the increase of depression, anxiety, anti-social activity, and of course stress in students were at dangerous levels. 

“I feel the lack of human contact with the outside world really messes with our head more specifically our mental stability which would be another factor that contributes to why we might not be doing well. We never know what each student’s household, family situation, and mental state are like and with online school were being forced to stay perhaps in a toxic household or be around our family members which can slowly drive us crazy, and teenagers with depression or anxiety or any other mental issue can be worsened by having to be home with ourselves all day”

– Lexanne Vazquez 

Santa Ana High School Student

Not only does quarantine have an effect on the mentality of students but their emotions as well. According to USA Today, 30% of parents have spoken up and said that their children are in a delicate state of mind and have experienced emotional harm. This new learning environment that was forced upon students came with conditions of separating people and new material everyday that overwhelms students. With the underlying circumstances of chores and other duties, there are a lot of distractions that include technology which is an interference between work and breaks. 

“At first it was kind of challenging, organizing [my] own schedule. It was different but I got used to it… I felt unmotivated to do things, I still feel unmotivated”

-Emily Sanchez 

Santa Ana High School Student 

Unstable mental health can lead someone to cause harm to others or themselves. According to CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), suicide risk is higher for those who experienced traumatic events in their life such as child abuse and sexual violence. As well as strong feelings of depression, anxiety, isolation, and emotional stress. As stated in Patch, suicide rates have increased due to drug overdoses.

Overall, communication is strained between people due to social distancing but it should be a priority in order to have a balanced mindset.