Gun Control

Gun control  is a  legal measure intended to prevent or restrict the possession or use of guns.  In a broader historical sense, the term also means legal limits on the possession or use of other firearms, including those that predate the invention of gunpowder. In most developed countries, gun control is strict and uncontroversial. In others it is a fraught political issue, pitting those who regard it as necessary for public safety against those who view it as a dangerous infringement of personal liberty. 

Gun control is more controversial in the United States, where gun possession is constitutionally protected, and murders committed with guns are mostly common. The United States by far has the highest levels of homicide by firearm rate among developed countries. Proponents are increasing in the United state for gun control and debate that letting guns be legal will save lives and also reduce crimes while opponents have a different opinion that guns will help by preventing citizens from defending themselves against armed criminals. 

In an article by the AP NEWS of the 2018 Florida high school shooting massacre it states that a father of a 14 year old girl was killed in the 2018 Florida high school shooting massacre, after a man named Nikolas Cruz killed 14 students and 3 staff members during a 7 minute rampage. He was using an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle to shoot victims in hallways and classrooms. Cruz had been expelled from the school a year earlier after a history of threatening, frightening, unusual and sometimes violent behavior that dated to preschool. After the shooting the parents of the students that were killed became activists. The father of the 14 year old girl is working with Brady PAC and supports the 2018s midterm elections candidates who promote gun violence prevention and spent $5 million while in the 2020 election cycle. 

In the website amnesty.org, gun violence key facts. It states that at Least more than 500 people die everyday from gun violence, while 44% of all homicides globally involve gun violence. There were around 1.4 million firearm related deaths between 2012 and 2016. Most of the victims are young people but women are also at risk of firearms violence perpetrated by intimate partner, sexual violence can also be facilíted by guns. People that get injured by guns worldwide are estimated to be 2000 people everyday and at least 2 million people are living with gun injuries around the world. 

Most gun control also happens in school shootings, mass shootings, etc. In 2013 and June 2018 there were 316 incidents of school shootings. The factors that contribute to a child picking up a gun are varied and often poorly understood. Mass shootings are normally defined as shootings where a group of victims are killed. Between 2019 and 2016 there were at least 156 mass shootings with a total of 848 people killed and 339 injured. 

In the Pew Research Center it is said that 52% percent of citizens think that gun laws should be more strict than they are now. People also have different opinions on who should be able to hold guns, where they should be permitted, and which ones should be legal. Some say that they should be permitted in most places, while in some they shouldn’t be permitted. 70% of people think most guns should be legal and 10% say none should be legal. While the republicans of gun owners and non owners think that the NRA has the right amount of influence and none owners see the NRA similarly even if they personally own a gun, democratic gun owners say the NRA has too much influence and democrats with no guns think the same way.