The Generator

Santa Ana High School Student Publication

The Generator

The Generator

Saints defeat Garden Grove, set for league opener

Santa Ana will host St. Margaret’s tonight to begin Orange Coast League play
The+SAHS+football+team+during+its+home+contest+against+Garden+Grove.+
Photo by Hector Rubin
The SAHS football team during its home contest against Garden Grove.

Santa Ana High’s football team got back in the win column Friday, September 1, when it defeated Garden Grove 41-21 at home.

Senior Charles Hughes opened game with a touchdown in the first quarter behind senior quarterback Sergio Torres, putting the Saints (2-2) up 7-0. 

Torres then scored a 1-yard touchdown in the second, making the score 13-7. 

Senior cornerback/wide receiver Adrian Sanchez scored a 93-yard touchdown off of a kickoff return in the third, providing a highlight and making the score 20-7.    

“It felt amazing and exciting especially because it was my first of the season,” Sanchez said. “Since the start of the season, I knew we were gonna have a good season this year with all the good players we have. The anticipation for the season was having high standards and striving to reach our goal and that’s to win a championship,” he added. 

The Argonauts (2-2) were paced by two receiving touchdowns from senior Eric Fernandez.

The Saints had 257 total yards of offense, consisting of 99 passing yards and 158 rushing yards, scoring in each quarter along the way (7, 6, 14, 14) They also had 3 turnovers in the game. 

“Tonight our guys played hard, we played together and we didn’t stop fighting until the end. We improved from last week,”  assistant coach Luis Cruz said.

A week later, Santa Ana came up short in a 68-48 shootout on the road against Laguna Beach (3-1). The team returns to the field tonight at 7 p.m. when it hosts St. Margaret’s (1-3) in the Orange Coast League opener.  

Follow us on IG @sahsgenerator