The Generator

Santa Ana High School Student Publication

The Generator

The Generator

Legal studies students take on Justice League summer camp

Students get three days of hands-on experience and training
Photo by Allyson Quiroz

The Saints opened up the SAHS home over the break, welcoming any SAUSD students to the annual three-day Justice League Summer Camp.

Thanks to the “Elizabeth G. Macias Legal Studies Academy,” students were able to experience a courtroom setting, learn communication skills, and practice their roles over this course.

The first day consisted of heading over to the Old Court House and getting lectured on the anatomy of a courtroom, to refresh and introduce students.

The second day focused more attention on communication, starting off with skills from an acting coach and then moving into single roles for the practice trial.

On the last day, students were introduced to a new way of viewing the law. They entered a lecture, continued to perfect their roles, and then finally put on the last trial for students and parents to see. With the help of many volunteer attorneys and judges, the students were able to pull off and experience the sequential flow of a trial. All students and volunteers ended this camp with a certificate of participation.

“There aren’t many programs like this designed to work in favor of students’ futures,” sophomore Shelby Gutierrez said.

This year’s camp hosted more than 60 SAUSD students and more than 20 attorneys and judges acting as mentors. As Herman Mitchell, the legal studies pathway teacher stated, “too blessed to be stressed.”

Follow us on IG @sahsgenerator