The Generator

Santa Ana High School Student Publication

The Generator

The Generator

Santa Ana football team wins third straight

Saints jump into first place in league with three games to go
Photo by Hector Rubin

Santa Ana High’s football team defeated Calvary Chapel 49-0 on Thursday, September 29th at Segerstrom.

Seniors Sergio Torres and Charles Hughes paced the offense, alongside junior Cristian Ramos, leading the Saints (5-2, 3-0) to a third consecutive win and an outright grasp of first place in the Orange Coast League.

Hughes scored his first of two touchdowns on a 19-yard run in the 1st quarter, giving the Saints the lead 7-0.

From there, Torres took over with four touchdown passes on 183 yards, to go with 100 yards on the ground.

“I felt pretty good and confident about my performance and everyone’s overall performance,”  he said.

“Like everything, very proud of myself but I can’t accomplish those numbers without my teammates. So I dedicated those numbers to myself and the team,” the quarterback added.

Ramos scored receiving touchdowns of 28 and 33-yards to put Santa Ana up 21-0 and the Saints got TDs from seniors Gabriel Ramirez Flores (3-yard rush) and Adrian Sanchez (14-yard reception) before the half.

Junior Ivan Domingez tacked on a 28-yard touchdown reception in the third to round out the scoring and senior linebacker Jose Martinez had a fumble recovery as the defense pitched a shutout.

Santa Ana had 373 total yards of offense, consisting of 183 passing yards and 190 rushing yards.

Senior Matthew Peters anchored the Eagles (4-3, 2-1) with 98 rushing yards.

“I feel good, we executed our game plan correctly,” head coach Rory Schoonmaker said. “We knew what we could give up and also what we wanted to make sure we took away. Our defense did a phenomenal job of doing that. Obviously, we’ve been working and progressing towards really solidifying our defense and making sure that we’re taking the proper steps and practice on a daily basis. Ensure we’re moving in the right direction as our season builds up to potentially contend and on into the playoffs.”

“Charles is playing awesome football, there’s so much to him as a team player,” he added. “A lot of times we pull him out of there cause we don’t need him taking extra hits. And, he’s completely supportive of the backs that are going in. He’s the first one to coach them up on the sideline and cheer them on the sideline. It shows great leadership, and great poise out of him to understand the situation and we want to make sure we keep him healthy for the long run. Understanding that isn’t always the easiest thing but he does it well.”

The Saints have a home contest against the Costa Mesa Mustangs (2-4, 1-1)  tonight at 7 P.M

“Just to keep doing what we do best and execute and most importantly just have fun with it since most of us are seniors,” Torres said.

Follow us on IG @sahsgenerator