The Generator

Santa Ana High School Student Publication

The Generator

The Generator

Santa Ana keeps rolling with 70-0 victory

Saints win fifth straight, look to capture league title tonight

Santa Ana’s football team celebrated Homecoming on Friday, October 13 with a 70-0 win over Saddleback.

Senior running back Charles Hughes added three more touchdowns and 122 rushing yards all while keeping his workload managed and the defense came up big for the Saints (7-2, 5-0 Orange Coast League) in the shutout.

Santa Ana held the Roadrunners (0-9, 0-6) to just 44 yards of offense, while forcing four turnovers, including an interception returned for a touchdown by Brian Sanchez-Flores in the third quarter.

Hughes found the end zone three times on just four carries, including two TDs in the first quarter. Senior wide receiver Adrian Sanchez had a 49-yard touchdown reception in the 1st quarter and senior Gabriel Ramirez Flores added a touchdown in the frame to put Santa Ana up 28-0 early.

Senior quarterback Sergio Torres threw a 58-yard touchdown to junior, while Sanchez-Flores added a rushing score and Hughes crossed the goal line for the third time during the second quarter, giving the Saints a 49-0 lead at the half.

“I felt pretty confident in the team. We worked hard to come up with an easy win,”  Hughes said.

Senior Running Back Carlos Guerrero scored three rushing touchdowns of his own in the second half.

“I’m thankful for this opportunity I was given and did what I do,” Guerrero said.

The Saints had a total of 335 offensive yards consisting of 107 passing yards and 228 rushing yards.

“Feel good, got an opportunity for everybody to get on the field and everybody to get some playing time which is always good,” head coach Rory Schoonmaker said. “I think we did a good job recovering, after the first couple of plays it looked like we were a little bit out of place. A little bit, not confused, but just getting used to a new scheme and a new defensive scheme. So, first couple of plays looked a little bit off but it seemed like our defense kind of got comfy in there after the first series. Offensively, lot of guys that are tough to tackle it’s a nice problem to have. That being said we know we need to continue to improve if we want to accomplish our ultimate goal; to win a CIF championship.”

After last week’s bye, the Saints have an away contest against the Orange High School Panthers (5-4, 4-1) at Fred Kelly Stadium tonight at 7 p.m. to determine the league championship.

“We are expecting a good challenge and battle but we expect to come out with the win in the end,” Hughes said.

“It should be a battle but no matter the outcome, win or loss. Our season doesn’t end week 10” Guerrero added.

Follow us on IG @sahsgenerator