Girls Volleyball

Overall record: 11-16 League record: 5-5

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Volleyball

Flor Mendez, Writer

Volleyball was originally called “mintonette.” Invented in 1895 by William G. Morgan after the invention of basketball. Volleyball for SAHS has had a big impact, mostly positive. There have been multiple coaches for the girls’ volleyball that have been trying to teach them good skills. J.D Cohen a 33-year-old coach for the SAHS girls volleyball team. has been a coach for 18 years. When he was a sophomore in high school, they asked him for help to coach basketball for a summer camp, that’s when he started to feel that coaching was for him. 

According to Cohen, coaching has helped him to be more patient, to understand a student-athlete, and how to be more successful. His goal for this season is that all players work hard and to be able to play in a higher league. Something he wants to teach the players besides volleyball is how to be responsible, how to compete and to always work hard.

What makes a good volleyball player is someone who’s capable of competing, someone that works hard, and someone that’s a good teammate. Cohen thinks the coach feels more pressure because he as a coach has to make sure every player is mentally and physically prepared to play. This season the girls’ volleyball had been great, they have been winning most of the games. The past October 17  they made it to the CIF playoffs for the first time in over 10 years. The Saints had two big wins over Orange and Saddleback to capture their playoff spot.